Every once in a while, I’ll be inspired to make something new with the ingredients I have on hand (typically sparked by seeing something similar elsewhere, and figuring I can re-create my own recipe). This grain-free granola is a perfect example of such a creation. It’s SUPER quick and easy to make, so if you’re a cereal-lover but are trying to move away from the crappy packaged, refined, sugar and empty carb-laden variety, this could be a perfect replacement. It’s low on sugar and high in fibre, but warning to the wise—this is DENSE, so a little goes a long way!
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup pecans (pieces or crushed is best)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or butter (I actually used 1/4 cup of each to make the 1/2 cup)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp powdered stevia extract (I use stevia for a natural, no-sugar sweetener but you could also use up to a 1/3 cup of honey, maple syrup, etc. to sweeten)
- 1/4 cup cinnamon (I LOVE cinnamon, but you can certainly adjust this to taste)
- Set oven to 350
- Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl (coconut, nuts, flour, stevia if using, cinnamon)
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl (melted coconut oil/butter, vanilla, and honey or maple syrup if not using stevia)
- Add wet ingredients to dry, combine well, and pour mixture on a baking sheet so that it’s spread evenly
- Bake for 15 minutes (should be golden when you take it out of the oven)
- THAT’S IT! Told ya it was easy 🙂
- Once cooled, store in the fridge in a sealed container to keep it fresh. It keeps really well!
- Enjoy with some full-fat, plain Greek yogurt and frozen berries (mixing these all together well will result in a creamy frozen yogurt-like treat—a real food version of chain froyo!)
- Use as a topping or mix-in for Clean Banana Coconut Ice Cream (tried this over the weekend and it was AMAZING.)
- Serve as a cereal with a bit of coconut milk and fruit of your choice
- This would also make a perfect topping to an apple crisp—stay tuned for corresponding recipe!